Deer with mandala Reinventing The Tattoo
Webinars

Reinventing The Tattoo Forum

Home » critiques » deer with mandala

Search Forum:

Deer with mandala

Posted by on 03.05.16

Hi again ?? Here's a piece I did last year on a sweet human being in Nova Scotia. 

Hopefully it's coming up straight, as the preview is sideways... Not sure how to fix that. Thank you for any feedback.

peace.

Replies:

RE: Deer with mandala

Posted by on 03.06.16
Yeah the pic is sideways. Look i'd probably reassess the overall balance of the design. A full circular mandala rather then an odd section off to one side. Red swirls perhaps used on both sides to tie things together better or left out completely. Muscle at top of leg bothers me & I would have done the bridge of nose differently. Might have looked nice with feet added but you havn't really explained your thought process on the design so not sure what you were going for here, Hope this was helpful :)

RE: Deer with mandala

Posted by on 03.14.16

I appreciate your feedback and I agree about the red swirls on the one side for sure. When I thought about it after I did it, I wanted to add shading like the other side. I know the person so it's possible I may get that chance in the future. As for the feet, they felt cluttered and I was going for a more abstract or surreal look. I didn't feel the need for feet and I still like that choice. That's the same for the mandala placement, I believe we just have a different aesthetic on those aspects.

Thanks also for the feedback on the ship/skull sleeve. The fade off at the top wasn't a great decision and his skin wasn't taking in the sunset colours for some reason. Another person that I might have a chance to fix up my mistakes. Just a thought on your critiquing style, by the way, after seeing your replies to mine as well as others. I would take a look at how Guy does it. He always mentions the strengths of the piece alongside any flaws that can be improved upon, no matter what the person's talent/experience level. This is a much stronger way to critique and something I haven't seen in any of the ones that you have offered. Which is especially interesting, considering that you haven't seemed to put anything of yours to be critiqued yet?

Need technical support? Call (413) 585-9134 or email