Glowing heart with bio elements Reinventing The Tattoo
Webinars

Reinventing The Tattoo Forum

Home » critiques » glowing heart with bio elements

Search Forum:

Glowing heart with bio elements

Posted by on 03.03.16

This was the first pass on this piece on my clients chest. I know I need more definition on the top part of the heart with some darker reds like in the bottom portion. I'm also contemplating how to tackle the outer glow from the heart I don't really want to pack white in there, My client wouldn't be opposed to it though, he's not much on an outdoors person so it wouldn't see too much sun and he's fair enough I don't think it would yellow out too much. I was thinking about cut some white with a little bit of orange and making it and off white/orange color. With the bone/rib mech structures  I'm trying to use muted blues to build up the shadow areas. He'll be back in a few weeks to finish up, so any critiques would be greatly appreciated.

Replies:

RE: Glowing heart with bio elements

Posted by on 03.04.16
Curious but what did the customer ask for, what is the significance of the glowing heart, was this vital to the design? I am just wondering if this design could have worked better if approached differently. Your heart anatomy is slightly odd looking, that bumpy all over texture makes it look cancerous (maybe this was intentional?) I would suggest coming over the top and covering some of these bunps with some veins to break it up, maybe in a red and purple. Even tho i get your trying to do a guy style luminosity, its just looking a bit flat and uninteresting. Your application looks tidy but at first I thought the rib bones behind the heart were rays of light coming from the heart,maybe work on this area a bit more. You definitely need some straight white to give the heart a wet shine appearance in some parts. I think if you print your photo off a few times and use some colour pencils to try a few different ideas that you can then incorporate into the next session. You could take this in so many different directions that could work it into a nice piece. I hope this has helped in some way

RE: Glowing heart with bio elements

Posted by on 03.05.16

This was made for the client that wanted a heart tattoo that fit with the phrase "the heart is an organ on fire". We both wanted to stray away from the obvious heart with flames, so I came up with this heart. the textures were intentional, I don’t want to go to dark in the heart I want to keep that as light at possible because when you look at something that is glowing hot you don't see all the darks or all of the details (in that respect I may of overdone the textures and made it to "in focus", if I put more darker reds or purples it would kill the initial effect I think, but I understand what you're saying. This heart is more stylized in the anatomy aspect as well, thousands of people have the same generic heart shape ripped off google images on them so if I can stylize it and make it unique I definitely will (you got to make it your own and put your spin on it, interpretation, that's the beauty of art). I haven't got to defining the ribs and bones too much as I stated in the original post and this being the first session and all it's far from a completed piece, they definitely lack definition and depth in that regard, I was looking for suggestion on that aspect though. I appreciate your feedback, it helped point out some areas that I need to work on.

Need technical support? Call (413) 585-9134 or email