my appologies if this offends you Guy Reinventing The Tattoo
Webinars

Reinventing The Tattoo Forum

Home » critiques » my appologies if this offends you guy

Search Forum:

my appologies if this offends you Guy

Posted by on 12.22.15

This was done in july"2014" Young lady came in with her mind made up so i went at it. Later on another artist that worked at my shop said that it was from the guy whose work i like, Guy Aitchison. All kinds of anxiety about that anyway here it is. Personally looking at it now i think Square and incomplete but i am my worse critiq so let me know what yall think. Much respect to Guy this is around the time where i realized i was way too out of touch with the tattoo industry.  

Replies:

RE: my appologies if this offends you Guy

Posted by on 12.22.15

left is right after the session and right is after it healed

Posted by on 01.10.16

That's actually a Paul Booth design, not one of mine... and I do believe he did offer this as part of a set of flash designs, so as far as I know you haven't crossed any lines here in the "biting" department. But you will sometimes be confronted with a client request that does border on plagiarism. Many of these clients can be talked into doing a similar but original piece, once they've had a chance to hear a little bit about the importance of originality. In these cases, I recommend that you get a good look at the piece they want as a reference, then put it away before actually doing the drawing. Otherwise it's hard to make it very original. You can also look at other references, such as Victorian scrollwork or real leaves, while doing the drawing in order to strengthen the drawing.

As far as this execution goes, it's sharp linework and the shading appears smooth, and it looks like you got a good heal. The piece is all made of small busy shapes though... you would have done better yo enlarge the whole thing to use the entire shoulder cap, which would have given you a bigger face with better opportunities for detail. Then the leafwork needs to be simplified, maybe half this many leaves, to avoid that hairy look. Bigger shapes with more clarity make for a better tattoo and allow you to do more with the rendering. 

Posted by on 01.22.16

as i read more of your book im starting to realize key things i need to work on. Mainly my FINISHED reference and stencil. for a long time i would create a very simple stencil and just do the detail as im doing the tattoo. that gave me a rep of taking forever. And i was never really satifisfied on any piece clients were but inside im like criticing evey inch. thinking back on this piece i can remeber how frustrated i was with the clearity of my stencil. Again thanks for the critiq sorry bout the mix up im learning about different artists everyday Paul Booth is another artist i'll be purchasing knowledge from in the future

Need technical support? Call (413) 585-9134 or email