Hit and miss on lining Reinventing The Tattoo
Webinars

Reinventing The Tattoo Forum

Home » general talk » hit and miss on lining

Search Forum:

Hit and miss on lining

Posted by on 01.05.17

Hello!!  I have been tattooing for 6 years and lining has always been an on and off struggle for me.  The way I go at a piece now is I will, as quickly as I can, outline the piece, single pass, so I don't have to worry about the stencil and then I will go through doing tight ovals followed by skirting back and forth to darken and smooth out the lines.  I will go through periods that this works really awesome for me and then I'll struggle with it for a few days and have no clue why, like I'll go over a line basically 3 times (single pass, ovals then skirting edges) and some spots still aren't saturated?  When lining this way I do feel like I take forever to outline a piece.  I've tried just hammering them in single pass and can't get good saturation or smooth results that way.  I've tried all different sizes of needle groupings but like to stick will smaller rounds like 5's.  I've been using a direct drive rotary and disposable tubes.  Been considering switching over to stainless tubes for outlining to see if that helps with the consistency issues I'm having.  Any other outlining tips out there?  The days I'm on, I feel great and confident doing lines, but I'm not sure if some days I'm just having an off day or if the disposable tubes (Wrath tubes) are giving me consistency issues?  Attached is an example of my line work from a "good day".

Replies:

RE: Hit and miss on lining

Posted by on 02.06.17

Howdy, Just my thoughts cause I deal with similar issues. I been tattooing 3 years. I think its always a combo of answers. Where you;re tattooing, stretching the skin, is the needle damaged? I found if my power source is too high I'm just tearing up the skin and the lines look like crap anyway. I think I always gotta remind myelf to make sure I'm going deep enough into the skin. With coils I can usually hear it well but I switched over to rotarys gradually and can still hear the "sound" to a certain point. But I'm banking on the more practice I'll get better. Hope this helps.

RE: Hit and miss on lining

Posted by on 04.03.17

I have had this problem as well but recently started pulling better lines . Still have a long way to go . I feel that making sure to fill my tube with pigment has helped me tremendously . Hold it in the cap for 3-4 seconds every time you fill it back up if you aren't already . And just slow your hand speed ever so slightly might help you out as well . Hope this helps . 

Need technical support? Call (413) 585-9134 or email