Moving into custom work from the street shop Reinventing The Tattoo
Webinars

Reinventing The Tattoo Forum

Home » general talk » moving into custom work from the street shop

Search Forum:

Moving into custom work from the street shop

Posted by on 11.04.17

Hey there,

So here's my situation. I got offered an apprenticeship based on my art. I graciously took it. Over time i realized my "teacher" was anything but, and then months in and after my head and hands were fully in, he got himself fired from the studio. Luckily the studio kept me around feeling i got a bum deal, but did not make any teaching efforts. I've been tattooing for a year and a half or so, and feel like ive got a good handle on things. My dilemma is that since the beginning I've always wanted to be more of a custom artist, rather than sticking names and tiny bird silhouettes on people. The shop I'm in is a street shop, and i rarely get to draw my tattoos. I understand that I'm young in my career, a year and a halfish..(I'm 34 in age, with many years of being tattooed), but these tiny crap tattoos are crushing my soul. I'm thinking of quitting the shop, but fear it could halt my new found career that i do have high hopes for. Any thoughts would be highly appreciated. 

Replies:

Turning people away

Posted by on 11.06.17

Hey there, 

I work in a street shop, but I would like to aim more in a custom direction. I truly don't like tattooing certain types of tattoos. Anyone have any good, kind ways of either turning people down or swaying them in other directions?

RE: Moving into custom work from the street shop

Posted by on 12.22.17

Hello wanting to do more custom work. This is a common situation with beginning artists and artists new to street shop life. I've been tattooing for some time and have been back in a street shop for the last cpl yrs doing the InstaSpam tattoos and lame script names(not that script is lame) client; "I gotta get my girls name she's 100, she ride or die, she's the one so what's the cheapest I can get her name tattooed?" That is whats lame about the script names. Stick it out add your twist where you can with whatever client will allowm you. plenty of the bigger names had their nitches fall on them not them picking their nitch. Carl Grace did a womans face it was in his portfolio and people noticed it. Then he did a pocket watch and next people are sending him pocket watches for reference. he didnt pick those subjects they chose him. If you have an angle you want to explore you may have to do some promo tattoos on your time for the cheap or even free so you can get these pictures of this style of tattoo in you portfolio in the front first thing they see. I also have my station decorated with the styles I prefer to do. keep at it don't quit or you def won't be doing those tattoos in a shop get in where you fit in then settle in once you do that start clearing a path thru the jungle to get to your destination.

Posted by on 12.22.17

Hello wanting to do more custom work. This is a common situation with beginning artists and artists new to street shop life. I've been tattooing for some time and have been back in a street shop for the last cpl yrs doing the InstaSpam tattoos and lame script names(not that script is lame) client; "I gotta get my girls name she's 100, she ride or die, she's the one so what's the cheapest I can get her name tattooed?" That is whats lame about the script names. Stick it out add your twist where you can with whatever client will allowm you. plenty of the bigger names had their nitches fall on them not them picking their nitch. Carl Grace did a womans face it was in his portfolio and people noticed it. Then he did a pocket watch and next people are sending him pocket watches for reference. he didnt pick those subjects they chose him. If you have an angle you want to explore you may have to do some promo tattoos on your time for the cheap or even free so you can get these pictures of this style of tattoo in you portfolio in the front first thing they see. I also have my station decorated with the styles I prefer to do. keep at it don't quit or you def won't be doing those tattoos in a shop get in where you fit in then settle in once you do that start clearing a path thru the jungle to get to your destination.

Posted by on 03.25.18
I completely understand this struggle. Even thought I now own my own shop. I have people bring in the same old sticker tattoos. My approach to moving from this type of work, to custom work is this. I customize everything! I give suggestions and ideas to the last minute. The goal is to hear "Wow that's better then I thought it could be". This leads to clients that know you go the extra mile, trust you, and alow you to do the custom work you want. We are the artist. The one with vision. Don't let yourself get stuck with the pick it n stick it attitude.

Need technical support? Call (413) 585-9134 or email