Taking the best possible photos of your work Reinventing The Tattoo
Webinars

Reinventing The Tattoo Forum

Home » general talk » taking the best possible photos of your work

Search Forum:

Taking the best possible photos of your work

Posted by on 12.09.15

So, I've always wondered how people take photos right after the tattoo is done, and they look pratically healed. Is there any trick for that? (I'm not talking about photoshopping)

Do you guys have any tips on how to make the best possible photographs of your freshly done tattoo? Something you apply to the skin, or wait a little time before taking the photo, wrap it in plastic before the photo, that kind of thing. 

Thanks!

Replies:

RE: Taking the best possible photos of your work

Posted by on 12.16.15

I've found that applying a piece of paper on the area, spray some bactine and soak for a few minutes helps. Reduces the redness and swelling.

Posted by on 12.17.15

Here in Brazil we don't have bactine =/

Posted by on 01.12.16
Put clean paper towel on arm rest to give nice white background to photo. Lately I have been getting a better photo using the flash setting 'on'. Using a camera instead of phone camera can help. Good lighting helps, try different angles to find what looks best. Take heaps of pics and the probability of a good one is high. Hope these tips help

Posted by on 01.24.16

Bactine is great (sorry Brazil :-/ ), I also make sure to give the tattoo one last water only wash after the bactine to help get rid of the bounty paper towel texture after the bactine wrap 5 minute soak, then I pat it dry with a dry paper towel to reduce sheen (i put A&D protection after the photo for the same reason) I like to take a photo with the flash on unless I can get good strong lighting (any movement in camera without flash with insufficient lighting makes for a blurry photo) If it's nice outside I love taking a photo on an overcast day (direct sun usually will blow out any good gradations in your tattoo) Finally, in photoshop to help reduce redness, under IMAGE menu, go to adjustments... and then levels... take down the suturation slider just a little bit to rduce the redness but not lose to much skin tone color. Sometime I do all this, sometimes one or none... :-)

Need technical support? Call (413) 585-9134 or email