*First* Portrait Reinventing The Tattoo
Webinars

Reinventing The Tattoo Forum

Home » critiques » first portrait

Search Forum:

*First* Portrait

Posted by on 01.09.16

Hey guys! This is my first portrait and it was done on a willing and consenting participant for free. I know it's not the best, but I wanted to get some critiques on this guy before I do my next one (on the same client, for free). The whole photo frame on this one is about 4x4 inches, so it's on the smaller side. It is fully healed. The top left is the reference photo, top right is the tattoo, bottom left is the tattoo with no color, and bottom right is the piece with bumped up contrast.

All the portraits are going together like a bunch of overlapping Polaroids, thus the square "frame".

I feel like I should not have filled the background in with solid black. I also realize the reference photo has almost zero contrast, so that sucked. I feel like even though I worked a lot of black, it still turned out needing more contrast (like the bottom right).

Anyway, let me have it! I'd appreciate your thoughts!

Caleb

Replies:

RE: *First* Portrait

Posted by on 01.10.16

It's not bad. The contrast situation with the photo is indeed an issue, and it would take a bit of skill with enhancing portraits in Photoshop to the extent that they'll tattoo nicely. There is enough subtle shading here that with a little exaggeration it's still tattooable. You could have gone darker with all the subtle tones toward the center of the face, enhancing the effect of the soft light hitting it from all around. The unshaved whisker area could be darker too, as could the eyes, especially the sunken bag effect. The corners of the mouth need that little fold on each side, that's the only major likeness issue that I see here. 

The 4x4" frame is part of your limitation... at that size the challenge is that much greater. Eliminating the frame and zooming in on the face more could be a better use of that kind of small space... I am always skeptical of square or rectangular frames on the body, there is no real flow. The standard approach of using a little flowing shading around the face works well because it not only allows you to fit the alotted space better but it gives the portrait, which is at risk of looking like a floating head, a bit more flow and fit on the body.

RE: *First* Portrait

Posted by on 01.10.16

Awesome! Thanks Guy, I really appreciate it!

Need technical support? Call (413) 585-9134 or email