Designed back w/cover ups Reinventing The Tattoo
Webinars

Reinventing The Tattoo Forum

Home » critiques » designed back w cover ups

Search Forum:

Designed back w/cover ups

Posted by on 11.27.15

small coverup on the bottom and larger one on the top. This is about 1 year healed. I'm hoping for suggestions on how to take it to the next level. Thanks,

Michael T. Gardner

Replies:

RE: Designed back w/cover ups

Posted by on 12.05.15

Michael,

looks nice and clean, the coverup is quite successful. Part of what makes that part of the piece work is the line weight variation. In a future piece I'd go a step further with bigger shapes- a few much larger flowers would make a nice balance with all the smaller detail.

as far as where to take this next, I think the thing that stands out to me (especially from a distance) is the flat quality of the filigree. If you used a touch more variation on its line weight (maybe going thicker only on the undersides of shapes) that would help; using a line to add white over some of that healed red color would allow you to selectively add highlights in a way that would help wake it up. Another layer of filigree fone at low contrast might also look nice, but it would need to be approached with care in order to not clutter the piece. Regardless, I suggest simulating your ideas on a photo of the piece before moving forward.

RE: Designed back w/cover ups

Posted by on 12.09.15

Thanks Guy, I appreciate the feedback.

Need technical support? Call (413) 585-9134 or email