In progress, could use some ideas. Reinventing The Tattoo
Webinars

Reinventing The Tattoo Forum

Home » critiques » in progress could use some ideas

Search Forum:

In progress, could use some ideas.

Posted by on 12.01.15

So this is a tattoo that I've started (I know, not the best pictures, sorry). I know how I am going to color the hummingbird. It's a Calliope Hummingbird so it will be primarily lighter tans with some magenta throat feathers. It still have to finish out the top feater and the stems on the fuschia buds. The question I want to bounce off everybody was the upper right area. My intial thought was to do a fade from darker to lighter blue starting by the bird and softening as I go out from there. I'm torn though. I feel like there's something more or different I could do but just keep hitting a mental block. Anybody have any thoughts/ideas/advice?

Replies:

RE: In progress, could use some ideas.

Posted by on 12.03.15

This was my idea for the background. I thought doing some negative space filigree swirls would keep it feminine and give it some movement while adding that little extra background to round out the whole piece. My ipad is broke so forgive the super sketchy photo. Great piece so far would love to see the final product and see what you come up with.

Posted by on 12.03.15

I had been toying with the idea of doing some negative space designs in the blue but hadn't been able to put my figure on any particular shapes. I really like what you put together there. Thanks a lot Caleb!! 

Posted by on 12.05.15

It's hard to comment without seeing exactly how you're planning on handling the hummingbird. In this photo it's empty with a darker background- are you planning on keeping it neg on pos? That is, are you keeping the interior of the birds body light in order to accommodate a dark background? Or are you using richer tones in the upper part of the bird? That could stand out nicely but would require a lighter background. A simple fade could work, negative space could work, a radiating effect could work... But all of this hinges on your pos/neg approach.

Need technical support? Call (413) 585-9134 or email