V for Vendetta snail Reinventing The Tattoo
Webinars

Reinventing The Tattoo Forum

Home » critiques » v for vendetta snail

Search Forum:

V for Vendetta snail

Posted by on 11.20.15

Figured since I've critiqued a few tattoos on here it's my turn to be the critqued.

Replies:

RE: V for Vendetta snail

Posted by on 11.20.15

Cool piece, clever design with a clean execution, solid color and sharp linework. The suggestions I have chiefly involve ways to give it more depth.

For starters, the mask is a little flat... It could have more depth by giving it more subtle shading to increase curvature, plus by adding some light background shading behind it to pop it forward, possibly a muted cool tone. It might also help to suggest that those ropes are attached to the sides of the mask, since it presently just looks like it's sitting on top of it.

in the shell, you left a very narrow highlight to show curvature- if this highlight were wider, it would increase the effect. A similar highlight in the snail's body would be nice too. As it stands, the body has a lot of rendering in its textures but not much of a sense of curvature and volume. The goal would be to handle the shading in such a way to express both overall volume and small scale texture. Last but not least, a touch of background color behind the body would help unify it with any color that might go behind the mask.

RE: V for Vendetta snail

Posted by on 11.21.15
Thank you for the critique! I definitely see what you're saying about depth and shading and use of more background to make everything pop more, I will use these suggestions to make this piece better since this is on a good client of mine who I know will be back.

Need technical support? Call (413) 585-9134 or email