client issuse Reinventing The Tattoo
Webinars

Reinventing The Tattoo Forum

Home » general talk » client issuse

Search Forum:

client issuse

I was just wondering what other artist would do in this situation. I started a large scale back piece on a client about 3 years ago. Before I started the project we talked about the project and how it would be best to keep session frequent. He said he was happy to try to come in once a month until it was completed. I thought that this was a good idea. After two sessions a month apart was when the things started to change. The client would make appointments then cancel last minute. Over all we've maybe had five or six sessions of 2 to 3 hours each. He recently contacted me to make an appointment and I asked him to leave a small deposit to hold the date as it's been over a year since the last session. I gave him two weeks to sort the deposit out but no deposit was left in. What I'm really wanting to know is what you would do? Would you tell the client find someone else to finish the work. I really want to finish the tattoo, but find it very frustrating that the sessions are so far apart. To be fair he hasn't got anybody else to work on it but I just can't figure out how to get this tattoo finished. I know it's his body and tattoo but it was the first tattoo I've got to start that was from the neck to the back of the knees. I hope this makes sense and any input would be helpful. Thanks

Replies:

RE: client issuse

Posted by on 03.21.16

I think after 5 or 6 sessions with him, you two already have a good, friendly relationship (I'm gessing haha) between tattooist and client, so maybe you cold give him one chance without a deposit. It's even better to put someone that wants to tattoo with you on the readar, in case he doesn't show up at the day.

If he doesnt show up, then you reinforce the idea of the deposit, "no deposit, no appointment".

The client isn't a bad guy. But he has in the past canceled very last minute. This has happened a couple of times and I haven't taken a deposit. I want to give him a chance but he still hasn't even got back to me after I sent a reminder message about leaving a deposit. It's just got to the point that I want to finish it but it's very frustrating. I've remessaged him, hopefully I get to finish the design. 

I was just trying to see how many chances would others concider reasonable to give before giving up on the client.

The client isn't a bad guy. But he has in the past canceled very last minute. This has happened a couple of times and I haven't taken a deposit. I want to give him a chance but he still hasn't even got back to me after I sent a reminder message about leaving a deposit. It's just got to the point that I want to finish it but it's very frustrating. I've remessaged him, hopefully I get to finish the design. 

I was just trying to see how many chances would others concider reasonable to give before giving up on the client.

Posted by on 03.30.16

I've got a few of those. Great clients, big projects, but not good with their money or their personal obligations. This leads to many a last minute cancellation and re-schedule. What I do is keep this in mind and have alternate work for the day planned out just in case they cancel or no-show. I'm pleased when they do follow through and show up, but when they don't I'm ready for it!

Posted by on 04.05.16

I have many of these and there's different ways to handle it, one thing is schedule him on a slow day not a weekend where it can effect your day. That has pluses and negatives in that I've had guys keep saying they will be there and turn away walk ins and they never show, of course it could go the other way, depends on your shop situation. But the main thing I can say is try not to get to emotionally attached to ur tattoo, I know it's easier said than done, just don't let them walk on you and know you're worth, I always have to remind myself that. Also the guy could be having personal issues too... I had a situation like that and had to ask the client that referred them and found out they were going thru a divorce. Tricky situation...

Thanks everyone that commented. Since I last posted here about my client. I gave him a chance to call in to secure his appointment but it never happened. I was going to message him again and it seems I've been blocked on Facebook. Oh well. I know that I shouldn't get attached to the tattoo but I was enjoying the design and that it was first time I've made a design that size. Thanks again for your input.

Need technical support? Call (413) 585-9134 or email