Cutting ink for the watercolor look Reinventing The Tattoo
Webinars

Reinventing The Tattoo Forum

Home » general talk » cutting ink for the watercolor look

Search Forum:

Cutting ink for the watercolor look

Posted by on 04.11.16

Good evening .

I have question on cutting pigments to achieve the softer water color look.....I am familiar obviously with cutting my blacks...however when I try to dillute the color pigment i am still getting a lot of separation in the cap.....I have tried with water and witch hazel....and neither have given me the soft gradations I desire....any advice on what he rst of the group cuts with the achieve this look 

Replies:

RE: Cutting ink for the watercolor look

Posted by on 04.13.16

When approaching the watercolor look I use technique and various colors rather than diluting the pigment. I'm also a fan of good saturation as it will help the tattoo last longer. Needle-wise I use bugpins to create a smaller hole, I work a bit softer and slower to build up the pigment, adjust the shade from the darker tone to the fainter and lighter edge, and get a bit of wrist action (again, soft, small, quick strokes) to soften the edges.  I should note, it also depends on what veriation of the watercolor look you are trying to achieve. The abstract soft brush strokes, the ink splatter, the splotchy background color tones, etc.

Need technical support? Call (413) 585-9134 or email