Dotwork technique Reinventing The Tattoo
Webinars

Reinventing The Tattoo Forum

Home » general talk » dotwork technique

Search Forum:

Dotwork technique

Posted by on 03.16.16

when doing Dotwork do you run your machines high, or low... Or not at all?... I've seen some recently that had horrible looking dots(not round)... And want to make sure mine come out clean... Any pointers would be appreciated... Thanks in advance

Replies:

RE: Dotwork technique

Posted by on 03.17.16

Are you sticking the needle in and then out standing still in one place and in one  motion, or are you creating a very tight circle in a very tight small space to create the dot? I'm curious about your hand motion....

Posted by on 03.18.16

Sorry to not be clear... I haven't done the Dotwork tattoos in question, I'm looking for pointers before I do one... And that's the exact question I'm asking, which is the proper technique?  Thank you

Posted by on 03.18.16

I use a swissmade rotary machine at 5.5 volts and fast hand motion, to make my "dotwork" shading effect, like on this piece: 

This was done useing a tight 5 round liner, it works very well for me. 

Ps.: this is the 1st session on the piece btw, some colors on the next one =)

Posted by on 11.30.16

Dotwork tattoo

You do dotwork the same as you would do stipple on a piece of paper.  Get a micron pen, and draw your image only in dots on paper... that's exactly how you do the tattoo.  5 liner tends to be best... 3s are very easy to accidentally blow out the dots.

Very precisely lower the needle and pull it straight back up.  If you get fast and sloppy, the dots will turn into check marks.  

The above method of running the machine slow and moving you hand quickly is called pepper shading.  Similar effect, but very different.

Run your machine at whatever speed you would normally line with.

Need technical support? Call (413) 585-9134 or email