What is your typical tattoo station setup? (needles/machines/inks) Reinventing The Tattoo
Webinars

Reinventing The Tattoo Forum

Home » general talk » what is your typical tattoo station setup needle

Search Forum:

What is your typical tattoo station setup? (needles/machines/inks)

Posted by on 12.17.15

I though about creating this topic just to know how other ppl works!

I use a swissmade tattoo machine with a 5liner for most of my linework/dotwork.

Also use a spektra halo or netotat vivace 4.2 for the colors/shading with 5mag, 7mag, 9mag and 15mag.

Finally, a dankubin sidewinder with a 7 or 9 round shader for the thick lines. 

For inks, mostly electric ink (like the only brand we got here in Brazil that we are able to use legally, along with some few others), and I got a friend that bring me some eternal ink from time to time.

I do a lot of geometric / sketch-like / watercolor tattoos, but I'm leaning towards some more illustrative stuff lately, with more details and textures.

What about you?

Replies:

RE: What is your typical tattoo station setup? (needles/machines/inks)

Posted by on 02.02.16

I'll  use a pentagram liner for my 3s, it's not a great machine and I've had to strip it and rebuild it and it still plays up so I'm in the market for a new one! I tend to use my Kubin mc14 for thick lines (usually 9/11) and for my 7 find shaders. I use a rotary works for my shading (11 mag)  and I've got one of their ID which I use for 5/7 lines (script and pinterest stuff Haha!) or also got a few other coils that I rotate depending on the job /how I feel. 

Posted by on 03.17.16

Soba mini Rusto for liners, 1st Gen Bishop custome Joe Cappobianco, and  a neotat Vivace 4.2mm for shading & color packing

for needles I uses 3s or 5s for small lines 7s for medium lines...or 9 (bold traditionl) for bold lines

I use a 23 curved magnum for almost all my shading or color-packing 

Posted by on 11.12.16
I figure this forum will never get better unless people chime in on old threads, so here's my set up. I'm an apprentice that is set to graduate my two year apprenticeship this month (to give reference as to the size and complexity of my tattoos) My liner set up is: Seth Ciferri Classic for my small groupings. I tend to use tight 3s, tight 5s, straight 5s and straight 7s in this. With a straight 9, I have to slow down a lot, but it does the job. Large groupings, I have an Adam Ciferri Pitbull. It's a bit much for me. I could see if you were really solid in your technique, it would be great, but it hits hard and makes merges, doubling up thin spots very difficult. For color packing, I have a Seth Ciferri Classic shader that I've re-tuned. It's my "mess around with it" machine and I've learned a lot by retuning it. Hard to push anything above a 9 mag with it. For shading and color blending, I have an Adam Ciferri Iron Bulldog. Wide range and can push most groupings. I've also re-tuned this a bit, but it's my go-to for a softer hitting color/shader. For Black and grey, I have a Soba OG Walker B&G machine. I've re-tuned this the most, but finally got it where I want it. Could probably hit softer, but it's still good for building values. Usually run it with long taper 7 or 9 mags. I use mostly all Black Claw needles. Cost a bit more, but super consistent. Lots of options for taper, gauge, shape, etc. I do have some Workhorse straight liners, because they are textured. Noticeable difference in how much ink goes in linework, which allows me to move faster. Much easier to blowout though. I use all stainless steel grips/tubes with autoclavable Red Rat grip covers. Albro foot switch has been solid for 2 years. Critical Power Supply has been awesome. Alfredo Matta @ancientirons clipcord works great and lightweight. Inks are primarily Fusion. Always up to try new stuff, so I enjoyed reading everyone else's set ups. -Nate Truth Tattoo

Need technical support? Call (413) 585-9134 or email