So glad to be here Reinventing The Tattoo
Webinars

Reinventing The Tattoo Forum

Home » introduce yourself » so glad to be here

Search Forum:

So glad to be here

Posted by on 11.17.15

my name is Ceka I've been apprenticing for a few years and have bounced around from a few shops ( one went out of business ). I spend at least of a third of the time at the shop by myself so I'm so glad to use the money I've earned tattooing to buy this course and learn more to give better tattoos and hope to become a full time artist. It's been a tough climb and I peice together double shifts cocktailing and doing cosmetics to keep a roof above my head, and feed my dogs. I went thru a stint recently where I had to use the local food bank to keep afloat. I take tattooing seriously and wang to be a professional tattoo artist.  I am from the art school pipeline with a BFA in painting and drawing, I learned figure drawing here and became fascinated with the human form and what flesh does on a skeleton. I also did 1 year of anMFA before I realized I didn't want to have my images rot in a gallery. Looking forward to joining this community 

Replies:

RE: So glad to be here

Posted by on 11.19.15

Hey Ceka, good to have you here! It's an unfortunate fact that many artists start out by trying to find a decent work situation, often bouncing around as you have. Hopefully you'll find a place where you can put down roots. Are you in a shop now? And have you begun actually doing tattoos for pay? Please feel free to post work for critique here in the forum!

Posted by on 11.23.15

Guy (a little star struck right now!! Like I can't believe this is happening!)

currently I am in my 3rd shop for my apprenticeship. The first one I really wasn't ready for and honestly got scared and overwhelmed (kicking myself now). 2nd shop went out of business.  Shop I'm at now for about 9 months it's owned by a couple who have been tattooing for 20+ years but kind of do their own thing and they are going to retire soon there are not many walk-ins. I have been tattooing for money I'm charging $90 per hour (shop rate is $125). Money seems to go right back into supplies.  I'm so grateful for the opportunity to be here, however there are 3 rooms and 5 artists here and 3 artists are not full time tattooers (including myself) I want to be full time and the plan is when that happens the owners will go to part time, but I'm realizing I want to be in a vibrant environment to learn from senior artists. So I joined your class, and I make appointments with artists in Seattle to watch over their shoulder and bug them with questions.  Thanks for encouraging me to post my work, I want to learn so I will bite the bullet. :) thanks for your generosity 

Posted by on 01.06.16

Hi Ceka 

Sounds like you're working hard for the money. I admire your dedication. See you around! 

Posted by on 01.11.16

Hey just a little update! I've been off of this course for about a month saving money and switched shops! I'm at Super Genius Tattoo now in Seattle WA. I had my first day today and am pumped to learn and to be around many working artists at once! 

Posted by on 01.15.16

Awesome oppertunity! Supergenius is clearly a world class studio. Damon has always been an inspiration to us here at off the map. You will be able to learn alot from him and the other great artists there, congrats. 

Need technical support? Call (413) 585-9134 or email